Second workout from Steel & Chiffon! I’ve been feeling a little antsy lately…maybe it’s the thought of a long, cold winter ahead. For me, there’s nothing that will cure the need to move better than a good high-energy HIIT workout! If you’re not familiar with HIIT workouts, they’re high intensity interval training workouts…in other words, major burned calories and crazy energy! And what I especially like about them is they’re quick but oh so effective! In only 20 minutes you’ll be huffing and puffing and sweating like a champ! And if that’s not yo thang, then look at it this way…you’re done with your workout for the day in a short 20 minutes. Now who wouldn’t like that!
Ive been trying to get back in a regular rhythm of exercise, because I just feel off when I’m not. I eat more crap, don’t sleep as well, don’t get as much accomplished during the day, and tend to fall back from loving my body. Our bodies were made to get up and move! A lot of people make the excuse of not having time…yeah, I do that too…and I’m here to tell you that YOU CAN MAKE TIME! The things to take in consideration are what do you enjoy and what time of day is most practice for you. I, for one, know that I do much better exercising in the morning, even if it means waking up 30 minutes earlier than usual. If I try to say I’ll wait till after work, I guarantee by that time I’ll have come up with an excuse and won’t get around to it. I function much better early in the day, but everyone’s different…figure out what works for you!
So that being said, this workout will have you up and energized for the day in just 20 minutes…I know I often spend over 20 minutes wasting time on Pinterest or Instagram. Make the choice to spend that time loving your body and giving it the movement it deserves!
This is a series of 6 circuits each composed of two exercises. I use the Gymboss app which is an AMAZING interval timing app to keep track of your times for the sets. Perform the first exercise for 30 seconds and rest for 10 seconds. Then do the second exercise with the same count. Complete each exercise in the first circuit 3 times before moving on to circuit 2. You’ll do the same for circuit 2 as you did for the first circuit. After you complete all 5 circuits you’ll have finished 20 minutes of high intensity interval training that’s sure to give you the energy and power to go about your day.
Here’s some photos to help you get these exercises right…
1. Lateral lunges, squat, and hop: this exercise sounds confusing but really isn’t. Do a lateral lunge to one side, hop center into your squat, then hop to do a lateral lunge to the other side.
2. Mountain climbers: start in upward plank and jump one leg in at a time, alternating legs and moving as quickly as you can.
3. Plank hops: start in a forearm plank and jump both feet in and to one side. Return to center and then jump in to the other side.
4. Jumping lunges: just as they sound, get in lunge position and alternate legs with a jump in between
5. Plié squat with calf raise: place your feet wider than shoulder width and turn toes outward. Squat down low and then when you come up, raise calves.
6. Reverse lunge: jumping lunges, just without the jump
7. Pop squats: squat down low touching your fingertips to the ground. Then pop up to standing with feet apart. Continue this motion.
8. Jumping jacks: just like you did in grade school
9. Burpees: start in plank position, jump feet in, stand up and jump! You love em, come on…
10. Side skaters: jump from side to side on one leg and alternating legs in a skiing movement. Use arms to propel.
And there you have it…you’re workout for the day is complete and in only 20 minutes. But oh baby, they were 20 super solid minutes! Let me know how you did!!
Click to Pin It and save or share!