I’m a sucker for spices…not always your mouth-watering, sweating type, though I do love some spicy Mexican food or a good curry that’ll make you cry. But today I want to talk about one of my favorite spices that also happens to be super-uper good for you! All spices work miracles for your food, giving color to your plate and delicious taste to your mouth. Turmeric, though, just gets me excited because of all of the other wonderful inside your body benefits!
If you’ve ever seen turmeric or worked with turmeric, one thing that may stand out about it is the color. It’s a crazy bright shade of yellow and turns everything it comes in contact with this beautiful color. Aside from bringing color to your plate, turmeric has been known to work as an anti-inflammatory agent, is a powerful antioxidant, cleanses the blood and supports the liver, and anhances circulation. Really, if you haven’t been cooking with turmeric, you’re missing out!
Another item in my pantry that makes it into either my lunch or dinner plate several times a week is chickpeas. Like… every time I go to the grocery store, whether I already have some or not, I always seem to grab two cans of organic garbanzo beans. They’re so versatile and easy to whip up a quick meal with. Throw em in a curry sauce with some veggies, sprinkle them on a salad, add to an Asian stir fry…the ideas are endless! But something you may not think of right away is making falafel.
Thats right FALAFEL!
Falafel is simply mashed up chickpeas that are rolled into balls and fried. I, personally am Falafel’s biggest fan, but I want you to be in the fan club with me! We’re going to cook these in only a tablespoon or two of olive oil so they’re a little bit healthier, bit definitely still ever so tasty!
Team Falafel everyone!
So, naturally I enjoy putting two of my faves together in one for double excitement! It’s Falafel with turmeric as the star of the show. Next to turmeric, we also have fresh lemon rind and juice, red onion, parsley, and ginger. It’s a stellar show you guys!
What really brings out the tastiness of these guys is the tahini yogurt sauce. It’s like falafel’s backup dancer. Yeah, you can have them without the sauce, but it’s way better with a creamy dollop on top!
So now you’re able to enjoy all the benefits of turmeric in a tasty little plop in your mouth. Place the Falafel on a bed of mixed greens, in a whole grain pita half, or just eat plain…there may be a few missing from the batch in the photos simply from just that! Drizzle the tahini yogurt sauce on top and you’re all set to enjoy the show!
- 1 can organic garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1/4 red onion
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley chopped
- 1 tbs organic tumeric
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tahini Yogurt Dressing
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbs tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 sprig parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse garbanzo beans.
- Place beans , onion, and parsley in food processor and blend. You don't want the mixture too smooth, just with a few lumps throughout.
- Next stir in tumeric, ginger, salt, and pepper until mixed throughout.
- Form little balls, about the size of a ping pong ball and place in a lightly oiled frying pan on medium heat.
- Cover the frying pan with a lid and occasionally turn balls over. Cook for about 10 minutes until warm and somewhat crispy on the outside.
- For the dressing, stir together ingredients in a small bowl. Add water, a tablespoon at a time until thin enough to drizzle over Falafel.
- Serve on a salad, in a pita, or however else you like!