Boy do I have a treat for you guys today! I’ve recreated what was one of my favorite desserts growing up for a lighter and healthier…could even be snack worthy…treat!
Also, today’s my birthday!
Just a side note.
Actually, I’m a huge birthday person! I remember picking out a special outfit solely for my birthday, walking around with a certain glow, and sitting a little taller. Thinking back I feel a little silly over my thoughts on my birthday. As I’m getting older I find myself enjoying other people’s birthdays more. I love surprising Paul with a special meal and dessert, and get giddy over giving the perfect gift. Funny how things change as we grow older and priorities change.
Growing up, my family’s birthday thing was that the person got to chose their favorite meal and dessert for dinner that night. I think that every year I chose a different dessert because I just can’t chose one and stick with it…that’d be pretty boring. But I think the most memorable was when I turned 16 and my family made me a trifle.
And I’m so excited to share this recipe with you guys! A healthified version of one of my favorite birthday treats!
Its tangy with blueberries and raspberries layered in between yummy yellow cake pieces and has a creamy but guilt-free custard made from chia seeds.
WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT PEOPLE!
It’s easy to make this suitable for two people (as shown) or to multiply the recipe to fit your gorgeous trifle dish.
Super sad today that I didnt have a trifle dish, and really would have loved to go buy one, but you know newly weds and having one of us in grad school right now isnt great odds for spending money on a whim. But please, if you make this in a trifle dish I would love love love to see your pics! Just tag @steelnchiffon on Insta and make me happy!
Also, it’s gluten and dairy free as well as paleo for those of you in that realm…a delicious treat that sits well for those of you with sensitive tummys.
So dig. on. in!
- 3 Tbs chia seeds
- 1 cup non dairy milk (almond, coconut, etc)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbs pure maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tbs Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 cup almond flour
- Toppings: raspberries, blueberries, and lemon zest
- Begin by making the chia pudding.
- Combine all ingredients in high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Store in the refrigerator while making cake to allow to set.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a cake pan or bread pan with coconut oil.
- Separate egg yokes from whites in two individual bowls.
- Add vinegar to egg whites and beat until foamy. Set aside.
- To yokes, add in sugar, baking soda, oil, vanilla, and almond extract and stir until just combined.
- Next, add juice of lemon to the egg whites and vinegar mixture.
- Combine both egg white and egg yoke mixture together and stir until just combined.
- Carefully fold in almond flour.
- Pour mixture into your prepared pan and bake for 25-30 mins.
- Once baked, allow to cool before taking out of pan.
- Check on the chia pudding...it should be thickened and set.
- Now to assemble. Cut cake into cubes and place at the bottom of your glasses or trifle dish.
- Top with some of the chia pudding and follow that with the berries.
- Continue this series until your glass or dish is filled to the top.
- Garnish with lemon zest and serve.
Shop what I used for this recipe
Steel & Chiffon is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.