Lots of snow across the country this past weekend, and let me tell you…we thought we were ready, but man!…that was the most snow I think I’ve ever seen! Nothing makes a weekend indoors better than a warm bowl of a flavorful soup, curled up under a blanket all day with nothing but white outside the windows. This Detox Soup with 6 different greens is bound to keep you filling your bowl.
Saturday we woke up to a thin sheet of snow falling to the ground…then it kept falling, and falling, and falling.
Like a full 12 hours or so of non stop snow.
At the end of the day it probably added up to around 6 inches, which for us amateur southerners was a pretty significant amount!
Paul initially had the sweet idea of us catching the train that evening and grabbing dinner and a show in the city to celebrate my birthday. Good intentions, he had. But sadly road conditions got in the way of us making it on the road.
Or at least they should have, looking back.
Big mistake! We started driving and road conditions got worse by the minute. Our plans to make it to the city turned into just a prayer that we’d make it home safely. We drove around just trying to find the least hilly and most plowed route to our little apartment.
Thankfully, our prayers were answered and we managed to pull into our driveway only getting stuck as we tried to make it up the driveway. You guys probably are thinking to yourself how stupid we were, and I will say…I can’t agree with you more! Now, though, Paul and I are just grateful that this expedition was without consequence. We’ve learned our lesson.
Back safely inside I had this soup waiting to warm us from the inside out, almost as if with a cozy hug. It’s vibrant color brings joy to the soul while all the healthy goodness from the 6 different green vegetables it’s made of gives your body a jolt of nutrition. And with the addition of these crispy spiced chickpeas…nuff said!
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch of ginger, peeled and grated
- 5 oz fresh kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 3 oz fresh baby spinach
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 head of broccoli
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- pinch of pepper
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Rinse and pat chickpeas dry and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine spices for chickpeas.
- Pour chickpeas into bowl of spices and stir to combine.
- Place on baking sheet flat and bake for 30 mins, stirring every 10 mins to prevent burning.
- Meanwhile, make soup.
- Pour a tsp of olive oil in a large stock pot and add minced garlic and ginger.
- Stir until just browned.
- Add in celery and cook for 1 min.
- Add in the remainder of greens (kale, spinach, broccoli, peas, and parsley) as well as spices (salt, turmeric, and cayenne)
- Stir and cook until greens begin to wilt.
- Add in vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Take off the heat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend greens until smooth.
- Once smooth, add in coconut milk and lime juice.
- At this point, chickpeas should be done and slightly crispy on the outside.
- To serve, ladle out soup serving and top with the crispy chickpeas.
Shop what I used for this recipe and make yourself a bowl of this delicious 6 Greens Detox Soup with Crispy Chickpeas
Steel & Chiffon is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.